The Platte River has been an integral part of the settlement of the Village of Honor since it was established in 1895 as a major logging town. The foundation of the town was laid by the Guelph Patent Cask Company, of Wolverine, which spent considerable money in erecting its plants, clearing lands and manufacturing its specialties. In the fall of 1896 a $2,500 school house was completed and church services were held. The name Honor was given the town in compliment to the baby daughter of J. A. Gifford, general manager of the Guelph Patent Cask Company.
The village was made the county seat by popular vote in April, 1908, the population was around six hundred people; and had stations on the Manistee & Northeastern and the Pere Marquette Railroads.
Soon after it became the county seat, the businessmen of the town formed the Honor Public Building Association, purchased the cement building that became the courthouse, and erected a modern jail together with sheriff’s residence, at a cost of nearly $6,000. It was incorporated as a village in 1914.
The Seymour & Peck Company, successors to the Guelph Patent Cask Company, manufacturers of lumber and veneer, had enough timber to keep the plant running for about ten years. This meant employment for about ninety men year around. The veneer was shipped to Chicago, where the firm manufactured it into boxes and crates.