VILLAGE OF HONOR
Regular Council Meeting Minutes Ju1y 11, 2022
Meeting Called to Order by President Sandman at 6:00pm.
Pledge of Allegiance: Recited.
Roll Call: Council- Denoyer, Sandman, Sternburgh, Ward, Perri; Present.
Staff- Goodman, Reed, Sessions, Leone; Present.
Comments on Agenda: None. Public comment; resident asked council to note long grass making it hard to see at Ely Rd. intersection. Another resident stated her neighbor had someone knock on their door in the middle of the night, and that she has had her doorbell rung late also.
Approval of Agenda: Motion by Ward/ Perri to approve agenda; all ayes, motion passed.
Approval of Minutes: Motion by Ward/Sternburgh to approve June 13, 2022 Regular Council Meeting minutes as presented; all ayes; motion passed.
Guests/Presentations: Glenna Wood of Gosling Czubak gave update on SAW grant to be used for the Village Asset Management Plan. The Village received 2 quotes to televise and clean the Village sewer system ($68,650 & $94,942). Allowing for additional costs for tree root cutting as needed for cameras, the final cost could be higher. The original grant in 2013-14 was for $57,000 for this project. After Council questions and discussion, a motion was made by Ward/Denoyer to Approve Resolution #104-22, hiring Pipe Tech for up $95,000 to clean and televise the sewer lines. Roll Call: Ayes; Ward, Perri, Sandman, Sternburgh, Denoyer. Nays; none. Motion passed. This work will be scheduled very soon. The Asset Management Plan will also include a rate study, which should be completed by fall.
Chris of Eclipse was not present.
Zoning Administrator: Rosemary Naulty, reported she currently has one Land Use Permit. The Planning Commission is working with Beckett & Raeder on the Redevelopment Ready Communities (RRC) requirements. They are planning to rewrite the Village Master Plan. She questions the necessity of this and feels it will be costly, as it will involve extra meetings and public hearings, etc. She requested funds be allocated for getting copies of our current Master Plan for all P/C members. Motion by Ward/Sternburgh to approve $100 to print extra copies of the Master Plan. Roll Call: Ayes; Ward, Perri, Sandman, Denoyer, Sternburgh. Nays; none. Motion passed. Naulty also noted the Zoning Board of Appeals bylaws will need to be revised and updated. Ward reminded Naulty and Council that 75% of our RRC costs should be reimbursable through MEDC.
County Commissioner/Fire Chief: Tim Markey, absent. Fire run report provided.
Treasurer’s Report: Village financial reports presented by Goodman. Motion by Sternburgh/Ward to accept financial reports. Roll Call: Ayes; Sandman, Sternburgh, Ward, Denoyer, Perri. Nays; none. Motion passed.
Submission of Bills/Checks: Presented by Reed. Motion to approve by Ward/Denoyer. Roll Call: Ayes; Sandman, Sternburgh, Ward, Denoyer, Perri. Nays; none. Motion passed.
- Vacant Council liaison to Planning Commission. Ward offered to be liaison until after November election. Appointed was made by President Sandman making Bill Ward P/C member representing the Village Council.
- Council discussed the possibility of moving regular monthly meeting time to 5:30pm. No decision made at this time. Meeting time remains 6:00pm.
- Maintenance Report – Jake Leone. Written report submitted. The aerators still need frequent cleaning, as much as twice a day. WWTP construction is set to begin this week. The irrigation fields have had their first harvest. We are still looking into selling the old dump truck. Maley Park is in good condition. Bush Hog was been repaired and is back in use. Brian Smith is working out well as part-time maintenance help.
- Street Administrator – Jake Leone. Written report submitted. Streets are being cleaned. Platte is completed, still working on Henry and Mill. The storm drain on Riverside Drive should be cleaned out soon. Sidewalks will be cleaned next. Link Drive ditches are scheduled to be cleaned out this year. Speed radar sign is up near the Plaza.
- Ordinance Officer; None.
- Park Committee – Deb Reed reported maintenance is doing a good job keeping the park in good order.
- Sewer Committee – Ward noted Sewer updated covered earlier in meeting.
- Budget Committee; Jeff Sandman, committee (Sandman, Ward & Goodman) will set up meeting next week to go over budget amendments.
General Discussion: Perri asked what constitutes bighted properties, and discussion ensued regarding options for residents to get help with lawncare, etc. Possibly getting them in touch with Benzie Senior Resources for affordable help. Will forward addresses to Naulty for consideration.
Public Input: Guest noted Village of Beulah is also working on their Master Plan and reviving a Planning Commission.
Adjournment: Motion by Perri/Ward to adjourn meeting at 7:00pm. All ayes; motion carried.
Respectfully Submitted by:
Reed/Goodman July 12, 2022