VILLAGE OF HONOR
Regular Council Meeting Minutes March 13, 2023
Meeting Called to Order by President Sandman at 6:00pm.
Pledge of Allegiance: Recited.
Roll Call: Council- Smith, Sandman, Sternburgh; present. Ward, Denoyer; absent.
Staff- Reed, Sessions, Leone; present. Goodman; absent.
Comments on Agenda: None.
Approval of Agenda: Motion by Smith/Sternburgh to approve agenda; all ayes, motion passed.
Approval of Minutes: Motion by Sternburgh/Smith to approve February 13, 2023 Regular Council Meeting minutes as presented; all ayes; motion passed.
Approval of ZBA Meeting Minutes: Motion by Sternburgh/Smith to approve February 13, 2023 Annual ZBA Meeting minutes as presented; all ayes; motion passed.
- Steve Stephens spoke about planting the village flower pots again this year. We had many compliments on how nice the village looked last summer with flowers and flags. He advised the board he could see to the flower pots for the same cost as last year; $50 per pot times nine flowerpots = $450). Motion by Sandman/Smith to approve $450 to Steve Stephens for flowerpot plantings. Roll Call: Ayes; Smith, Sandman, Sternburgh. Nays; none. Absent; Ward, Denoyer. Motion passed.
- Chris, Eclipse Communications, presented IT information. Eclipse upgraded the IT infrastructure at the Village Hall in 2022. He will do an assessment of the Villages IT needs and provide information on the contract services they have available. He will present his findings at the April meeting and will answer any additional questions the board may have at that time.
Zoning Administrator: Rosemary Naulty, verbal report. No new LUP’s issued. Zoning Board of Appeals held their annual meeting last month.
Planning Commission: Rosemary Naulty, verbal report given. The Planning Commission annual report for 2022 was accepted by the board. They are continuing work on the Master Plan. The Commission is also working on a short-term rental ordinance. They are still gathering information and will be holding meetings for public input. Also, the P/C is still in need of another member; please have anyone interested contact Rosemary.
County Commissioner/Fire Chief: Tim Markey, absent; written report provided and read by President Sandman. County Commissioners approved a Comfort Dog Program, a puppy has been assigned to one of the school resource officers and will be in the schools on a regular basis. The County is receiving funds from the opioid class action lawsuit. The funds will need to be spent on drug treatment, prevention, etc.
The Township Fire Departments 1976 Ford F600 brush truck was sold for $13, 025. The pancake breakfasts will continue through April 2 from 8am until noon at the Homestead Township Hall. There is no charge, but donations will be accepted.
Treasurer’s Report: Motion by Sandman/Sternburgh accept financial reports as presented. Roll Call: Ayes; Sandman, Sternburgh, Smith. Nays; none. Absent; Denoyer, Ward. Motion passed
Submission of Bills/Checks: Presented by Deb Reed. Motion by Smith/Sternburgh to approve bills as presented. Roll Call: Ayes; Sandman, Sternburgh, Smith. Nays; none. Absent; Ward, Denoyer. Motion passed.
Incoming: E-mail from Andy Campbell at Baker Tilly following up on the Village sewer financial planning as part of our SAW grant and USDA RD requirements.
- Motion to authorize President to sign WWTP draw #9 in the amount of $42,034.29 made by Sternburgh/Sandman. Roll Call: Ayes; Smith, Sandman, Sternburgh. Nays; none. Absent; Ward, Denoyer. Motion passed.
- Village parking ordinance. Tabled until April meeting.
- Village noise ordinance. Tabled until April.
- Maintenance Report – Durkee/Leone, written report submitted. The wastewater construction project is almost finished. All equipment is running well. Jake requests funds for two wastewater operations review seminars prior to his L2 Lagoon certification test in May. Working with utilities on cause of a small sinkhole on Riverside Drive. Maley Park water sampling/testing will be done by March 31. Motion by Sandman/Sternburgh to authorize up to $1,200 for his attendance at MRWA conference. Roll Call: Ayes; Smith, Sandman, Sternburgh. Nays; none. Absent; Ward, Denoyer. Motion passed.
- Street Administrator – Durkee/Leone, written report submitted. Have had complaints regarding the condition of Highland Drive and they will look into grading it when the ground thaws.
- Ordinance Officer – None.
- Park Committee – Reed, park is in good shape for now.
- Sewer Committee – Ward, no report.
- Budget Committee – Sandman, no report.
General Discussion: None.
Public Input: It was noted that the link to HARP on the village website is incorrect. William Bailey feels we need speed limit signs on Platte Street. Jake will look into it.
Adjournment: Motion by Smith/Sternburgh to adjourn meeting at 6:49 pm. All ayes; motion carried.
Respectfully Submitted by:
March 14, 2023