Village of Honor Minutes August 10, 2020
Meeting called to order at 6:00 pm
- Pledge of Allegiance: led by President Ward
Roll Call by Madame Clerk Debra Reed. Trustees Doug Durkee and Dennis Sternburgh, Rick Fast, Susan Leone and present President Ward present
- Guests Recognized: Adele Maher, Sherry Taylor, Annie Browning, Maryanne Goodman
- Approval of Agenda: Leone moves to accept agenda as amended. Second by Fast. Motion carries 5/0.
- A. Approval of Minutes from July 13, 2020. One typo corrected. Motion to approve minutes as corrected made by Durkee, Leone seconds. Minutes approved 5/0
- Approval of Minutes from Aug. 4, 2020 Interviews for Village Treasurer. Motion to approve made by Durkee, Sternburgh seconds. Minute approved 5/0.
Presentations: Sherry Taylor reports on status of current Benzie County budget planning. County officials want to present a balanced budget and not spend down reserves.
Rosemary Naulty (unable to attend) sent a report read by Clerk Reed. Four Land Use permits have been issued and three properties on Main St. have been cleaned up following Zoning Offices notifications of violations.
Treasurers Report- Not available due to resignation of Treasurer.
- Old Business: Repeal and replace Resolution 103-20 There was a question concerning our Sewer Administrator voting on Res. 103-20. Counsel decided there was nothing wrong with the original vote but decided to pass the same Resolution, numbered 104-20, due to the importance of the subject. Motion to repeal 103-20 made by Ward, second by Sternburgh carries 4/0 with Durkee abstaining. Motion to accept Resolution 104-20 Motion to repeal 103-20 made by Ward, second by Fast carries 4/0 with Durkee abstaining.
VII. New Business: New Treasurer Hire-
Motion to hire Maryanne Goodman as Village Treasurer made by Ward, seconded by Sternburg. Discussion of the two interviews. Motion carries 5/0.
Discussion of road fund balances and allocation of funds in accordance with State of Michigan regulations. Motion to transfer $10,000 from Major to Local Road funds made by Leone, second by Durkee. Motion carries roll call vote 5/0.
Motion to give contract to Ron Brown & Sons to pave the the rest of Link Drive to the back of the Honor Plaza for the low bid of $13,647 Made by Fast, second Durkee. Motion carries roll call vote 5/0.
VII. Reports: Maintenance/Street administrator- Read by Doug Durkee. Adkins not able to attend but assures Council he will be attending meetings in the future after dropping job coaching football.
Zoning/Planning – See Presentations
Park Committee – Deb Reed comments on the good maintenance of Maley Park and how much use it has been getting.
Sewer Committee- Resolution to accept USDA loan discussed under Old Business.
Attorney Communication Report- None
- Bills/ Checks – Sternburgh motions to accept report as presented, Fast seconds. Roll call vote, motion carries 5/0.
- Amendments – none
- General Discussion – None
Public input- Adele Maher questions the overgrowth of wild grape vines and Purple Loosestrife.
Correspondence- Letter from Harold Saffron continues to make statements about the former right-of -way adjacent to 2307 Mill St. that Village Council discussed abandoning in 1991. A second letter criticized the Clerk’s job performance.
A letter inquiring about the position of Deputy Clerk was received from Anna Grobe.
XIV. Adjourn- Motion to adjourn made by Fast, Durkee seconds. Motion carries 5/0. Meeting adjourned at 6:33 pm.
Respectfully submitted by Debra Reed 8/13//2020